Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

Minneapolis Part 3. On the trails and road.

 

Right across the street from our campsite in Apple Valley is a huge mountain biking park. Click to see map. The previous day we drove though the parking lot and saw everyone packing up for the day. These people are serious about mountain biking up here.

We went to sleep early after a nice campfire and woke up at the butt crack of dawn. I would say around 8:30.  We started the trail at nine. The whole track is a little under 6 miles and is pretty grueling. Well at least it was for me. See in all honesty I'm more of a downhill biker. Kinda like a downhill skier but without the skis and spandex.  At times you are shooting down the mountain at 20 miles an hour dodging rocks, branches, hairpin turns and log ramps.
 At other times you are standing up on the bike trying to push yourself up a 15% grade. Half way up we would just walk the bike up. I swear there must be some magical mountain gear on the bike that I can't find because these people were flying by us the whole time. I think some of them were getting upset with us because we kept cheating by taking the easy path and getting in their way more than once.

Our check out time was noon and we exited the trail at 11 or so. By the time we got home we had just enough time to shower, dump the tanks and close up the trailer. Before we hit the highway yet again we stopped in to the Starbucks "Clinic" to get our fix.  We had the trailer this time so I couldn't use the drive-thru. I went inside and told the guy behind the counter my order. Since we're spoiled by our local Starbucks at home, we can't order whats on the menu and have made up our own drinks.

I'll have a grande, whole milk chi, no water and a double venti caramel frappuccino with java chips please.
 He looked at me puzzled and said
huh.
 Off to the side I heard someone say.
I know what they want.
The day before we had a conversation with Laura from Starbucks in Apple Valley about our CB radio and road trip.  She was extremely nice and made our custom drinks perfectly. Its amazing what a 10 minute chat with a complete stranger will do. I can't even remember what I drink from time to time.

We left the Twin City area for the Badlands National Park. Which was about 560 miles away. We didn't know if we were going to make it in one shot since it was a 12 to 13 hour drive. I guess you'll have to stay tuned in to hear the rest.

Coming in the next few days: The Badlands National Park.

1 comment:

  1. Great scenery, hope all is well with the truck. Seen you were having issues with the rearend. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a line from time to time.